Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fall Foliage Post #1

Despite the fact that several scientific studies have been done on the senescence of leaves in autumn, there has yet to be a definite conclusion regarding why the leaves change color and exactly how they do it. While some researchers believe that the process is due to cell recycling (Ougham et. al), others are trying to prove that the color change is due to abiotic factors and animal interactions (Archetti, et. al). Over the course of the next few weeks, I will be making observations of leaf color change at Sweet Briar College and try to gain a better understanding of the process of color change. Although I will not be focusing on formal research, I hope that my heightened interest in leaf senescence will make me notice some aspects of the process that I have never realized before. Along the way, I will be posting Gigapan pictures of the same area of campus and narrate the changes that I observe in the colors of the leaves. 


This Gigapan shows several kinds of trees surrounding the Butterfly garden at Sweet Briar College. In the foreground of the photograph is a sycamore tree. I do not expect the leaves to change to a vibrant color, perhaps this tree will be valuable in gaining more understanding of why and how leaves change color in the fall because it is different than many other species. In the background of the picture, a sugar maple can be seen to the left of the train station, just beyond the cedar trees. This tree is already beginning to change to a light orange color as compared to the vibrant green it was just a few weeks ago. Sugar maples are known for changing to a bright yellow/orange color throughout the autumn. The contrast between the sycamore tree and sugar maple might give some more insight into the process of color change as the season progresses. To the left of the sugar maple in the photo, there are several locust trees. Like the sugar maple, I expect these leaves to turn yellow before being dropped for the winter. Since there are several of the same kind of trees in this area, I will pay attention to the relationship between the color change among them. I think they will all change at the same time and be the same color, but if I am wrong, I might be able to make more assumptions about the scientific process of the color change.

No comments:

Post a Comment